Wearing a dress.

When I was five I  adamantly decided, against my mothers wishes, to being a girl.
My reason?  We already had one girl, why not let me be a boy?
Of course that argument took on a life of it's own as I grew older. Fluffy frills, barbie dolls, pink dresses, hair accessories...  the works.
 And for all her efforts, I remained steadfast in my avid view, that boy's toys and clothes where better.
I enjoyed playing with water pistols and remote control cars, so why couldn't I receive such gifts during Xmas and birthdays?
Alas, no matter how hard I pushed my reasoning, I  always got the dreaded "shudder" female things.
Now as an adult I must admit...things haven't really changed. I still enjoy a good blood bath movie, added with delightful gore and intense mind games. I can still pick up a water pistol in glee and throw stones with the best of them. I never gained the hang of climbing coconut tree's, but I can still play in the dirt with my pets.
That being said, I also grew to appreciate the finer female things in life.
While I might not adorn the latest in girly nail polish, I do enjoy watching my friends do it. I can tell what shade goes with what and what color bag fits with which shoe. Yes, as I've grown, I've entered the hated "shudder" female world of fashion and design. But I've also grown interested in interior designing as well. Home improvement gets me just as high as a good horror movie.
I guess it goes to show you, people can change, their likes their dislikes, but more importantly if you give a person enough space, they can grow into things that may surprise you. I still wish I could have played with Tonka trucks and  Lego's as a kid, but now that i'm grown. And you know what? I can play with them, all the while dressed in a beautiful sunflower dress, and starletto heels. 

The point of all this is, let kids be kids (unless they show tendency's of being axe murderers or serious sociopaths (then you get them to a shrink...asap) Hmm now where was i? o yes...Kids being kids....yeah, just let em. Try not to be uptight about it, give them their freedom to be themselves (within reason of course) They'll thank you later.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. I agree. This is a big debate right now, the importance of letting home be a place where children feel safe to be themself, who ever that self is.

    Which, if we are all honest, admittedly takes a VERY long time to figure out.

    Parents who waist time yelling at children not to play with cars aren't helping self discovery really but rather make a road look enticing that might not even need to be.

    Children are little people and people eventually realize what it is they like. It's important not to infuse a bias...

    people will like what they like. Until they don't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said. A road does become enticing once it has become forbidden. The safe road to follow, might be for a parent to guide their child gently down the safe road,without ramming it into their throats. A person tends to follow better when it's their choice than if it's forced. With the way the world is turning out, i think i'd rather be their along side my child learning and helping them be the best they can be, than driving them underground and into the arms of...only heaven knows what.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts